The Lagos state government has directed all pupils and students in public and private schools to stay at home following the tension generated by the #EndSARS protests.
The Nation reports that the state commissioner for education, Folasade Adefisayo, who issued the directive, said the safety of the pupils/students, parents, and all staff working in schools was paramount “at this critical period.”
Legit.ng gathered that she, however, advised parents to keep an eye on their wards and not allow them to be used as willing tools in the hands of those who might want to hijack the protests to unleash mayhem on the society.
Sanwo-Olu sends powerful message to EndSARS protesters, urges dialogue The commissioner also encouraged schools to utilise other means of distance teaching and learning such as radio, television and online media as they have been doing during and post COVID-19 lockdown.
Adefisayo said that a new date of resumption for all classes would be announced as soon as possible.
Legit.ng had earlier reported that all secondary and primary schools including tertiary institutions in Lagos may be shut down by the state government if the demonstrations by the EndSARS protesters continue.
Nigerian Tribune had reported that the government said that the measure would be taken to ensure the safety of the students and the school workers.
The newspaper had said that the head of the public affairs unit of the state’s ministry of education, Kayode Abayomi, confirmed it in an exclusive interview in the evening on Monday, October 19.
He said the dimension of the #EndSARs protest especially in the state as it is becoming more intense each day warranted the move.
He said if the approval is given, the students would be home until normalcy return to the state and the country by extension.