THEME: THE QUEST FOR SIGNS AND WONDERS
At that time, the people crowded Jesus, and he began to say: This is an evil generation; it is asking for a sign. The only sign it will be given is the sign of Jonah. The Gospel of Matthew says that it was the Scribes and the Pharisees who were asking for a sign (Mt 12: 38). They wanted Jesus to work a sign for them, a miracle, in such a way that they could become aware if He was the one sent by God, as they had imagined. They wanted Jesus to submit himself to their criteria. They wanted to fit Him into the framework of their own idea of the Messiah. There was no openness for a possible conversion in them.
Our generation is not different from that of Jesus infact, in our time the quest for signs and wonders as the criterion for verifying who a true man of God is has taken centre stage. People are jumping everywhere looking for miracles. This has pushed many Pastors and Preachers into so many demonic and diabolical things to fulfill the yearning of the people. This has also created room for many thieves and robbers to find their way into the sanctuary of God.
This is why we see things like:
• Pay 100,000 and get Anointing water to will protect you from your enemies
• Sow a seed of 50,000 and get this red candle that will drive away all the forces of darkness around you and your family
• You have been barren for so many years, you need a spiritual touch from the man of God to lubricate your sex organ and make your womb fruitful
• Your destiny has been stolen and locked up, bring 30,000 so we can transport to the place to reclaim your destiny.
• Your business is under lock, bring 20,000 that we’ll use to get the spiritual master key that will unlock you.
• You’re under satanic, demonic and ancestral curses. To break this strong grip they have over you, you need to buy this miracle handkerchief, and once you use it, the curses will be broken.
Jesus did not submit himself to such a temptation to make impression. The Gospel of Mark says that Jesus, before the request of the Pharisees sighed profoundly (Mk 8: 12), probably because He was upset and sad in the face of such blindness.
It serves nothing to try to show a beautiful picture to a person who does not want to open his/her eyes. The only sign that will be given is the sign of Jonah. “For just as Jonah became a sign to the people of Nineveh, so will the Son of man be a sign to this generation “. How will this sign of the Son of man be? The Gospel of Matthew responds: “For as Jonah remained in the belly of the sea-monster for three days and three nights, so will the Son of man be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights” (Mt 12: 40). The only sign will be the resurrection of Jesus. This is the sign which will be given in the future to the Scribes and the Pharisees. This is the sign Jesus gives us today. Jesus, who was condemned to death on the cross, will rise from the dead by God and will continue to resurrect in many ways in those who believe in him.
The sign which converts is not the miracles but the witness of life! And Jesus has given the ultimate witness through his sacrifice, and his victory is our victory, and the victory of all believers through Christ our Lord. Amen!
Good morning and God bless you this week in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen!